Thursday, January 19, 2017

Greenery with Envy









Greenery With Envy

 by Amy Monthei


Each year Pantone comes out with the color of the year, this year’s color is bursting forth like spring shoots is aptly called Greenery (#15-0343).  I love this year’s color it is bright, punchy, happy and and above all it's FRESH and really feels much overdue.  Its a bold rich yellow green and for me it is a completely opposite and refreshing welcome change to the overdone red accents of the past few years.

I have always been attracted to green, in fact it was my first word!  I would look at green leaves, the way the sunlight would catch them and glint of the surface and how the color glowed when the sun poured through them on the trees.  I have always loved that semi-translucent quality.  When i was 2 my father made me a rocking horse and it had a tail of green white and blue yarn and of course i named him Green.  On any usual day there is about a 50% chance of finding me wearing green.

My forecast? 
I think people will embrace this gorgeous color and see it has huge potential to bring in the freshness of the garden indoors to brighten and punch up a space.

Ideas for outside

Photo by BEHR
Using this great color on a front door can brighten up a boring neutral space and not clash with your outdoor greenery but instead becomes an extension of it.


Adding accent planters to your patio garden or punching up your furniture with this sunny green can really enhance your outdoor space.


Ideas for inside
If you are not sure you want to be surrounded by the outdoors but would enjoy a punch of color inside, use it to liven up a room by choosing accessories such as vases, lamps and pillows.

Adding Greenery indoors using accessories


 

Get a great Vintage piece and update and refresh 
the color as seen in the left photo.

Paint the floor in your entryway or mudroom as 
seen in the photo on the right.
 












Go bold with a new couch or a great textured accent chair combining an additional natural element.




 

See How I added Greenery to my home
I have added Greenery to my home here in Honolulu, Hawaii. 

I mixed greenery in my accessories, the Richard Grachalla raku vase mixed with a soft green Ernest Miller vase and Ocean blue and white patterned lamp.






My bedroom inspired by Hawaii, I used Greenery in the bedding and placed and Calvin DeRuyter original watercolor and a Susan Piazza 3-D clay piece on my wall.  


Makapu'u Trail on Ohau's east shoreline was the inspiration for my bedroom


Greenery as inspiration as an artist
As an artist I am also very much influenced by the beauty and color that surround me and this often shows up in my work.  Let me show you what I mean:


"Citron Sky" Mixed media on canvas by Amy Monthei
 The above painting inspired by: 

Kualoa Mountain Range as seen from Kualoa Regional Park, Oahu

See the way Light makes this color glow with vibrancy?  Kualoa Regional Park, Oahu

Mortimer my Wire fox terrier enjoying the Greenery

 
"Equality" - Grade 1 Braille Mixed Media on canvas by Amy Monthei

 
The above painting inspired by:


Ka'ena Point Trail S W Shore of Oahu



La'ie Point North Shore of Oahu

Lanikai Beach Oahu




 

 

 

Please contact us at:

Visualarts
275 Market Street Ste. 197
Minneapolis, MN 55405
612-77-1244

Email

Facebook

Twitter




About Artist and Blogger - Amy Monthei

She is a legally blind artist that lives and creates artwork in her home-based studio in Honolulu, HI.  She regularly shows and sells her work that has been commissioned by corporate and private clients throughout the United states.  She is often accompanied by her shadow, a nine year old wire Fox terrier named Mortimer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment